Friday 24 February 2012

Fleas, Flu and Flagellation!

I am aware that I am supposed to be blogging about all things amusing such as handbags, contents thereof; and of course funny foibles on Facebook. Not in the mood, so not in the mood. We have flu in the House of Muse, also Cat Fleas (little evasive bastards) and a broken Kindle. Grumpy does not even go near how I'm feeling at the moment. Have a word with yourself girl and get on with it.

I watched a documentary tonight called 'No Impact Man'. Bit of a stupid title but respect to the guy, (and his long suffering spoiled brat wife) as he stuck out a year of sustainable living in the middle of New York.  Worth a watch.  I think he was probably naive at best and a bit daft at worst.



I've been thinking about Lent over the last couple of days. Twitter was awash with it. Stupid ignorant people twatting on about what they were going to give up. Now, am I a bit simple in the grey matter department (told you I was grumpy) or is this the endish of February? Have we all had Christmas, gone on diets/ given up alcohol, fags/ tortured ourselves at the gym or am I delusional? So WHY do we need to do it all over again? I have no problem with the 'God Squad' getting out a bit of rose bush and flagellating themselves with it. On a kinder note, if you have FAITH in yourself, others, God or someone else's God then good luck to you. I was brought up as a Catholic and how I hated it. All that guilt, I must have been 35 before I managed to get rid of it all. I digress, what I'm trying to say is Lent is a religious festival so why are you trying to give up chocolate etc... ad nauseum for forty days. Will we see 'Happy Lent Day' cards next? I am completely bewildered....


Oh dear....just a click and I found one. Deep breath. So we have two extremes here. Giving up your G & T for forty days and nights (that sounds much more challenging) or giving up your entire lifestyle for a year. The Muse household needs a bit more self control, a little less judgement and a tad more love. In the immortal words of Twitter #justsayin....

2 comments:

  1. Pretty much what I said when all the women were going on about it at school. For goodness sake, I said, life's hard, we need our treats. I'm constantly denying myself things for all sorts of reasons. I don't need another reason. And anyway, I said, I'd never keep it up. Why set myself up for failure? It went very quiet and I noticed they were staring at me. (I'm new and they don't know me yet.) Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your latest blog - I do enjoy reading them all! Made me smile with your comments about Lent. So many people are giving up things and when I ask why am told 'because it's Lent'. Hmmm....I'm hoping we don't have a National Lemming Day!

    I personally think that if a person wants to acknowledge the religious aspect of it, then they should do it in a positive way. Maybe take up more exercise, do a new bible study, do something that will have an impact on their lives. Too many people go round with faces like a wet weekend and tell everyone that they're only miserable because they've given up alcohol and chocolate for lent. I'm sure Jesus would much prefer them to have a stiff drink and box of Thorntons and put a smile on their faces!

    ReplyDelete